Travel Tag: Sara Essop
I always see Sara sharing travel blog posts & amazing destination photos so I thought hosting her on a Travel Tag would be perfect! She also allows others to share their travel stories on her blog, giving them the spotlight, which I believe is truly indicative of her wonderful heart. #SharingitForward
Sara is a travel blogger and writer based in Johannesburg and she blogs at “In Africa and Beyond”. Her blog is about travel, events, and experiences around the world. It aims to inspire others to travel and explore. She especially loves showcasing her beautiful country. She hasn’t been everywhere yet but it’s on her bucket list.
1. Tell us about a recent holiday
- My last overseas holiday was to the UK where we explored London. From there we went to the USA, where we visited Walt Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando. It was amazing. The only drawback was our exchange rate.
2. Best destination to travel to
- I loved Istanbul and Venice.
3. Worst Travel experience?
- In Melaka, Malaysia, I slipped and fell on a patch of moss. I was badly bruised for a few days.
4. How traveling has changed your life?
- It’s opened my eyes to different experiences, cultures, and lifestyles and made me more broad-minded.
5. Where are you from?
- Johannesburg, South Africa
6. Where have you been around the world?
- I’ve been to 40 countries including USA, Italy, India, Malaysia, China, UK etc
7. What is your favorite City?
- I’d say Istanbul. It’s a magical city, full of history, interesting architecture, fascinating culture and good food. It’s also the only city in the world which spans two continents, Europe and Asia.
8. What are your dream destinations?
- Right now, I really want to go to South America, since I’ve never been there. I would also love to go and see the Northern Lights
9. Best item you have purchased overseas?
- I bought a beautiful Rado watch in Switzerland. And I always buy a fridge magnet representing the country I am in when traveling.
10. What time of the year do you like to travel?
- Since I’ve got kids who go to school, it’s more about when I can travel – and that would be in the school holidays.
11. How many times a year do you travel?
- I usually go overseas at least once a year and local holidays a few times a year.
12. Show us your favorite travel picture?
13. What are some new and exciting cuisines have you tried on your travels?
- Chocolate and banana pizza in Zanzibar. Chicken, olive and citrus tagine in Morocco.
14. Have you ever lost something while traveling?
- Yes – on my last overseas trip I left my Canon camera on the plane at Gatwick airport in UK. Fortunately, I managed to get it back again about 6 weeks and R1000 later.
15. What are your favorite travel activities?
- Sightseeing and exploring. I like to go to where the locals hang out too. I don’t usually waste time with shopping
16. What are your must-have travel accessories?
- A good camera, a smartphone with Wi-fi
17. What is your favorite accent in the world?
18. If you could live anywhere where would you live?
- Tough one. Probably some tropical island
19. Why do you enjoy traveling?
- I love discovering and exploring new destinations and taking photos wherever I go. Seeing world famous places and off-the-beaten-track places in the flesh, experiencing new adventures, new cultures and new cuisine excites me and inspires me.
20. Do you have a travel buddy?
- I always travel with my husband and usually my two kids too.
21. What are some of the interesting places you’ve visited and the different cultures?
- Istanbul, Venice, London, Mumbai, New York. They are all interesting in their own unique ways.
22. Have you ever had any bad travel experiences?
- I don’t usually enjoy long layovers at airports. But once, I was traveling to South Africa from India via Nairobi. Our flight in India was delayed and we missed our connecting flight in Nairobi. It was before the sanctions were lifted and we weren’t allowed to enter Nairobi without a visa as South African passport holders. There was a large group of us and we stayed at the airport for 5 days before they could put us on a flight to South Africa again.
23. Advice for those who want to travel but think they can’t?
- There are many ways to travel cheaply and on a budget. If you let yourself believe that it is possible then it will be possible.
Noticed the Big Sign/Badge on the right-side of my blog, did ya? Yes, The Blog Tag. An amazing community that supports & encourages bloggers by providing them with weekly themes & daily writing prompts in reference to those themes. Join the Fun 🙂